THE BEST OF BRITISH JAZZ FROM THE BBC JAZZ CLUB Volume 2 - Various Artists
The BBC Jazz Club was founded as a weekly radio programme by Mark White in the late forties to succeed Radio Rhythm Club as the main outlet for live jazz on air. It came into its own in 1950 with the great Trad Boom and this Volume 2 in our British Jazz series features two great names - the Humphrey Lyttelton and His Band and Sandy Brown's Jazz Band.
The Best of British Jazz from the BBC Jazz Club Vol 2
Tracks 1 to 15 Humphrey Lyttelton and his Band
Tracks 16 to 20 Sandy Browns Jazz Band
1. Memphis Shake – C. Hayes, Peermusic UK Ltd
2. Last Smile Blues – I. CoxCrump, Copyright Control
3. Chicago Buzz – CobbDodds, Copyright Control
4. Ruritanian Blues – Humphrey Lyttleton, Humph Music
5. Elephant Stomp Blues – St. GeryAlfrey, Copyright Control
6. Under the Double Eagle – Wanger, Public Domain
7. My Gal Sal – Dresser. Public Domain
8. Small Hour Fantasy – Humphrey Lyttleton, H. DarewskiEMI
9. It’s a Lowdown Dirty Shame – Humphrey Lyttleton, Humph Music
10. March Hare – Humphrey Lyttleton, Humph Music
11. March Hare – Humphrey Lyttleton, Humph Music
12. PTQ Rag – Humphrey Lyttleton, Humph Music
13. Oh Dad – Humphrey Lyttleton, Humph Music
14. Sweet Muscatel – Humphrey Lyttleton, Tro-Essex
15. Randolph Turpin – Humphrey Lyttleton, Humph Music
16. Steal Away Blues – J. BlythDodds
17. Quincey Street Stomp – Dorsey, MCA Music Ltd.
18. Squatty Roo – Hodges, EMI Harmonies Ltd.
19. Hard Hearted Hannah – J. YellenR. BigelowC. BatesM.Ager, L. Wright Music Co.
20. African Queen – S. BrownA. Fairweather, Box Cox Pubs Ltd.
Reviews of This Recording
If this is a taste of things to come from Upbeat Recordings, we are in for some rare pleasures. Boz